Sunday, October 9, 2011

Proverbs 21.21

He who pursues righteousness and loyalty finds life, righteousness and honor. Proverbs 21.21


Radical obedience always precedes the miraculous.

I am reading in a book called the 10 Second rule. One of the quotes in the book really struck me this morning. It says "It dawned on my me why I wasn't making more progress in obedience. When I would fell a prompting of the Holy Spirit to do something I was reasonable certain Jesus wanted me to do ----- and then choose not to do it --- I was actually rewarding myself for being disobedient. I chose disobedience because I knew perfectly well that obedience would cost me something, at least in the short run – time, money, embarrassment, inconvenience. Or pleasure differed – you name it. If I chose not to obey Jesus, I can avoid all that grief and keep what is mine" I really do not like the thought that I am rewarding myself for being disobedient. My reward is in Heaven "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Matthew 5.12
So I wonder if the prophets were persecuted for walking in obedience. So I wonder what was the last thing that you felt certain that Jesus wanted you to do and you waiting long enough for the feeling to go away so you didn't do it? The Lord didn't call us to easy, but he did call us to obedience. Obedience today …. Let tomorrow worry about itself. It is easy to walk in obedience when it does not interfere with anything. I returned one piece of door hardware to Home Depot the other day because it had been dropped and scratched. I was dishonest in the fact that I knew they would take it back. As soon as the lady gave me my money back I heard Holy Spirit say "What are you doing?" I fought it long enough to walk out of the store, Knowing that I was going to have to go back and re purchase the damaged knob. The point is … what if the cashier needed to see some brutal honesty that day and I walked in disobedience. The one thing she needed I denied her. I am not sure if that is the case but you get the point.

99 percent obedience is 100 percent disobedience …. Which one are you? Today?

No comments:

Post a Comment